Monday, April 13, 2009

The Search for James Moore (Family History Part 7)

When I searched the 1870 census of Sullivan County, TN., I was not able to find James Moore (My GGG Grandfather) and his family. James Moore left for the Civil War. I was not able to find Burton Herman Moore (My GG Grandfather) in Sullivan County in 1870 either. In my search of the 1870 census, I believe that I have found Burton Herman Moore (My GG Grandfather) in Jefferson County, TN District 9. The names and ages of the members of the household were:

Mary Moore
34
Birton Moore
17
Cassie Moore
16
Andrew Moore
10
David Moore
8
Buck Jennings
25
Nancy Jennings
20
George B Jennings
1

I believe that my GG Grandfather Burton Moore was living with relatives during the census of 1870. Mary Moore could have been his Aunt, or his cousin. Burton could have been helping Mary out with the farm duties. I'm just not sure.

What happened to the mother of Burton Moore, and his brother and sisters? I found them in Hawkins County, TN. (District 7) in 1870. Hawkins County is just one county to the west of Sullivan County, TN. The household is:

Samuel Mc Cullough
45
Sarah Mc Cullough
40
William S Mc Cullough
2
Sarah Moore
16
John H Moore
14
Mary R Moore
12

My research indicates that James Moore's wife Sarah "remarried" when James Moore did not return from the Civil War. Sarah Moore married Samuel McCullough on October 05, 1868 in Hawkins, TN. I am very confident from my research that this is correct, because in the 1880 Census of Hawkins County, John H. Moore (Brother of Burton Herman Moore) is living 2 doors down from Samuel and Sarah McCullough. John Moore states in the 1880 census that he lives with his wife Rebecca, his son James W. Moore age 5 months, and his sister Mary R. Moore age 21, and his brother James Moore 18. This census told me that my ggg grandafther James Moore and his wife Sarah had another child after 1860. James Moore Jr was born in 1861 or 1862. I am not sure if Sarah had James Moore Jr before or after James Moore Sr. left for the civil war. She could have been pregnant when James left for war.

Stay tuned for more......

No comments: